Kwesi Jerome Edwards Principal Mechanical Engineer | Technical Leader | Energy Industry | PhD Aerospace Engineering Candidate
I am a proven leader with more than 13 years' experience in various levels of engineering design, technical delivery and operations management roles with the top oil and gas technology firms. I am an expert in Offshore Facilities Engineering and Subsurface Production Technology. I have a Master's degree in Engineering Projects and Systems Management from Kingston University London; and a Master's degree in Subsea Engineering from Aberdeen University. I am a Society of Petroleum Engineers Certified Petroleum Engineer and a Project Management Professional. Pursuing a PhD in Aerospace Engineering at Virginia Tech focusing on Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture.
Halliburton | Europe, Sub Saharan Africa and Eurasia
Engineering Advisor, Testing and Subsea (Sep 2014 to Jun 2016) 1 Year & 9 Months
• Oversee Discipline Engineers assigned to the Project & Execution team, Contractors and Vendors to ensure successful completion of assigned portfolio of projects in accordance with the scope, cost, schedule, quality requirements and HSSE regulations by application of sound Project Management best practices. The assigned portfolio of projects includes projects within the DEFINE / EXECUTE stage gate with smaller projects within the APPRAISE / SELECT stage gate. • Coordinating, Reviewing and Performing specialist engineering studies such as thermo-hydraulic simulations, subsea and surface flow assurance (hydrate formation and wax deposition), nodal analysis, integrated production modeling of complete well test systems, pressure transient analysis, pipeline thermal stress analysis, gas dispersion, gas process plant debottlenecking, downhole tool string mechanical analysis - hydraulics, tubing movement, stress, torque and drag, subsea landing string analysis, structural analysis of installed equipment on semisubmersible and drillships. Mechanical and process systems design of early production facilities for remote locations and challenging production fluids. • An integral member of a multi-disciplined regional engineering projects team focused on seamless design and service delivery of deep water and special projects in reservoir evaluation, subsea well intervention and production processing facilities design, including Real Time Operations center engineering, for the Europe and Sub Saharan Africa region.
Halliburton | West Africa Area
Engineering Lead | Testing and Subsea (Mar 2014 to Aug 2014) 5 Months
• Created, launched and led a dedicated engineering group for the West Africa geo-market consisting of 100% local talent. Developed geo-market engineers to be technically multi-disciplined. Drove individual team member performance management process by coaching and mentoring talent regarding behavioral based or technical performance challenges achieving greater engagement and motivation which reflected in improved technical performance. Actively participated in the interviewing, hiring, and assignment of new personnel in the engineering team. • Define and design all production and well test characteristics to assure production reliability, including: operating and design parameters, chemical requirements and injection locations, identify subsea well intervention operations flow assurance issues, identify insulation and dead-legs in the surface production well test layout, cooldown and no-touch times of well test and production operations, depressurisation rates, limits and durations, start-up and ramp-up sequences, hydrate risk profiles, liquid management strategies, functional requirements of surface well test and production separators. • Lead, mentor and train a team of junior professionals in the various product lines involved in reservoir evaluation and production. Technical Advisor and Subject Matter Expert to management regarding best practices for the acquisition, analysis, interpretation, and integration of reservoir evaluation well test and production data. Develop, review and provide input into well delivery and workover programs and contingency plans including activities on drilling, completion, workovers, well testing, production, and well abandonment involving completions perforating and service tools of the product line, optimizing the use of new technology to achieve more effective project performance.
Halliburton | West, Central and East Africa
Senior Engineer | Testing and Subsea | Integrated Projects (Dec 2010 to Feb 2014) 3 Years & 2 Months
• Project engineer for the West Africa area, focused on distinguished service quality and building Halliburton reputation as it re-entered the integrated reservoir evaluation services market across the area. Technical resource utilized by various other internal departments and external client for all engineering, design, regulatory, and execution concerns related to offshore well completion and well-testing engineering and operations. • Field deployment of completions and well-testing technology at the location and performing location audits for specialist projects. Define the operation scope and limitations according to the available technology and supervise the maintenance, preparation, commissioning and quality control of equipment scheduled for well site operations Perform real time data analysis of operational data using data transmission software and assisting the client leadership and top-level engineers to make real-time decisions to ensure operational efficiency. Ensure that data is collected accurately and presented professionally to achieve a high quality report for the client. • Represent the multidisciplined project team of completions, well productivity and well test specialists to the area clients on multidisciplined projects Provide technical expertise in completion operations including the selection, design and planning and support execution, and post job analysis as needed Responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating engineering efforts in the delivery of Completions and Reservoir Optimization while negotiating critical and controversial issues with top-level engineers and managers of external organizations and companies.
Halliburton | West, Central and East Africa
Operations Coordinator | Wireline and Perforating Systems (Feb 2010 to Dec 2010) 10 Months
• Coordinated movement of equipment, materials including hazardous materials and personnel as required to support the down hole tools and perforating solutions operation. Effectively controlled location inventories ensuring ongoing operations not compromised and target profitability achieved. Conducted pre-job and post-job meetings to review engineering designs and operations work scope with appropriate service delivery staff. Communicated with customers and service delivery staff to resolve service delivery issues and irregularities maintaining client confidence in project team technical capabilities. • Steered the quality management and quality improvement initiatives for the Product Service Line locations achieving full participation in health, safety, environmental and quality issues reporting from the location team. Responsible for financial reporting and forecasting on a monthly and quarterly basis. Provided final approval on sales orders prior to invoicing. Provided multi-disciplined oversight on integrated projects in addition to specific job design, field support and post-project analysis to the client base on designated projects of the wireline and perforating solutions business Conducting rig-site surveys and suggesting recommendations for vessel modifications to accommodate well test equipment
Halliburton | West, Central and East Africa
Field Engineer | Completions and Production (Feb 2007 to Jan 2010) 2 Years & 11 Months
• Supervising design, planning and execution of various Perforating Solutions and Completions Service tools projects in West, Central and East Africa. This included land, offshore standard and deep water operations. Lead project planning, preparation, closeout analysis and client facing activities. • Consistently delivered 100% success rate on all offshore and onshore projects. Collaborated with internal team and client to introduce and deploy new technology • Leading the health, safety, environment and quality reporting initiatives at each location, focusing on performance improvements mutual to company and client. • Preparation of operations procedures and work instructions for work over operations and supervising service delivery on location Supervising a team of field technicians during completions deployment Interact with internal and external drilling engineers, HSE specialists and logistics managers on the well specific equipment requirements
Schlumberger | Trinidad and Tobago
Field Engineer | Well Completions and Productivity (Sep 2004 to Feb 2007) 2 Years & 5 Months
• Consistently delivered 100% success rate on all offshore and onshore well testing projects establishing the company reputation as the preferred service provider for the major exploration and production clientele. • Lead project planning, preparation, closeout analysis and client facing activities. Controlled movement of equipment, materials including hazardous materials and personnel as required to support the down hole tools and perforating solutions operation. Active participation in safety and service quality programs ensuring compliance to service delivery plans and safety incident reporting and analysis focusing on performance improvements mutual to company and client. • Collaborated with internal team and external client to introduce and deploy new technology for increased reservoir productivity, successfully executing two advanced technology systems for two clients. • Preparation and presentation of detailed completions, well testing and perforating solutions programs and procedures. Involved in all aspects of the project lifecycle from pre-planning to field execution and post-project analysis of assigned projects.
PhD in Aerospace Engineering(2019 - Present)
Pursuing a PhD in Aerospace Engineering in the Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, with focus on Ocean Engineering, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
The University of Aberdeen
Master of Science in Subsea Engineering(2016 - 2018)
My research focused on the application of Shape Memory Alloys to the mitigation of buckling and post-buckling collapse in subsea pipelines.
Master of Science in Engineering Projects and Systems Management(2017 - 2018)
The research investigated an actual drilling rig and drilling and completion project cycle to determine the power demand and the carbon emissions and designed a renewable energy system to meet that demand and lower the net emissions for the rig and project.
Heriot Watt University
Postgraduate Diploma in Petroleum Engineering(2011 - 2015)
The University of the West Indies
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering(2001 - 2004)
Specialised in power systems engineering and manufacturing engineering
- Surface Production Facilities
- Subsea Well Intervention
- Subsurface Engineering
- Engineering Project Management
- Mechanical Integrity Management
- Specialist Engineering Studies
- Data Analysis
- Subsea Production Systems
- Business Decision Modeling
- Design Engineering
- Life Cycle Analysis
- Pipeline Engineering
- Finite Element Analysis
- Quality Management
Native or Bilingual Proficiency
Date of Birth
- Society for Underwater Technology, SUT
- Society of Petroleum Engineering, SPE
- American Society for Mechanical Engineers, ASME